Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

5K PR!

I ran the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure 5K this morning. I got up at 6 and got ready. Headed out, stopped at Dunkin Donuts to bring the boyfriend coffee and breakfast since he was nice enough to drive me in. I went over to his house, dropped off my car and we headed into town. The drive took way less time than we thought, there was no traffic and there were no parking lines, score! Except we were there so early. But that's okay. It was chilly so I had sweatpants and a sweatshirt on over my race clothes. I got my bib number and put my timing chip on my shoe and then we walked around the expo. It was nice but emotional, I lost my grandmother two years ago to breast cancer and there were bibs that could be filled out 'In Memory of ...' so I did one of those for the back of my shirt and broke into tears as I was writing Meemom on it but the volunteers there were understanding of course. The the boyfriend and I took our stuff and walked it back to the car and then headed back and just walked around. I used the porta potties twice before the race, did a little jogging and stretching and then we lined up.

The starting line was emotional too as they had a breast cancer survivor speak then. I teared up a little and told myself I would push as hard as I could through this race since it isn't anything nearly as hard as what my Meemom went through or anyone else battling cancer.

The race route was a little weird and choppy, there were a lot of U turns. But it was soooo flat, which definitely contributed to my PR. It was great to see so many people out there in support of the cause, there were over 7,000 participants. The 3.1 miles went by very quickly and then the finish line was in site, and the clock said 23:xx, and I was so so happy. My gun time was 23:46 and my chip time was 23:34! My old 5K PR was 25:11! I had a huge smile on my face as I finished. I think it may have been my best race ever and even though the day was emotional, it was also great.

Here are some pictures:


The race started at the World Trade Center on the Seaport.

A runner's shirt that the boyfriend liked


Before the start of the race



Starting line


The boyfriend getting a picture of me running by. I have the Recovery socks on and bib on the back. (Wore the pink Recovery socks since they were pink and I wanted to be as pink as possible!)


Near the end


Finish line! Furthest to the left :)

Have a great Saturday and good luck to anyone racing this weekend!

2 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

LOVE the pink outfit. I will be wearing my revoery socks in my next race for the cure. GReat PR!! It is so nice to run a GOOD race..

Lisa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, although Tall Mom is the one to thank for the fun High Five Friday idea.

Congratulations on the PR. Here's a high five for an awesome race!