Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

So I read “Skinny Bitch” and …

It really has changed the way I think about food. I was already leaning towards becoming vegetarian after watching the documentary Food Inc. a few weeks ago and reading "Skinny Bitch" sealed that for me. So as of yesterday, I have given up meat. I'm debating about what else will also go. I should give up dairy especially since it has really negative effects on me and that part of the book really struck me. I've always found it weird that humans are basically the only adult mammals that consume milk and well I don't even like milk, it's other dairy products (cheese, ice cream etc …) that will be harder for me to give up, so I'm still processing this part. I think I need to give up a lot of, if not all, the dairy I consume because I do notice the effects of it on my body it's just harder to let go of than meat for me. So I'm starting with meat and will continue with the process from there. I'm sure I'll read "Skinny Bitch" many times while going through this life change, as it really does lay it right out there for you. And, I think that while I'll end up giving up meat and dairy, I may not give up fish which may seem weird and I'm not sure I can explain it … but it's something I'm processing. I'm really just starting out right now and I think everything takes time and I don't want to rush anything so for now gone from my diet are:

  • Meat
  • Soda

I'm researching and processing

  • Dairy
  • Seafood
  • Caffeine
  • Artificial sweeteners (well they're going for sure, I just need to wean myself off of Propel and Crystal Light packets and then I'll be done. I haven't had any today!)

FYI: Skinny Bitch is very blunt, lays it out there and has a lot of swearing … just a forewarning if anyone's interested in reading it. It is very informative though and I really enjoyed it. I need to buy "Skinny Bitch in the Kitch" for recipes now.

So this is part of my 2010 journey … we'll see where it takes me.

2 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow sounds interesting. Good luck with the transition. I LOVE LOVE Milk...not sure I could give it up..

Questionably Texan said...

Found your blog from Tall Mom's 1000+ club.

I haven't seen Food Inc (or read Skinny Bitch, largely because I'm a guy and that book appears to be directed towards females). The book that did it for me was "The China Study." Convinced me to give up almost all animal products purely from a health standpoint.

We haven't found a good replacement for cheese yet, but there are some AMAZING non-dairy ice creams out there (Tofutti, Soy Dream, ...)

I find I enjoy food more now than I used to. Good luck with the transition!